Monday, March 26, 2012

The Heinz 57 Challenge

Our German Shepherd, Roxie, has been stealing the limelight lately with her antics. But today, it's our other dog's turn. Meet Inja:


When we met her as a 12-week-old brindle baby, our first question was, “What is she?” For the past 10 years, that's still the first question everyone asks. And then--since we don't know the answer--everyone ventures his own guess. Veterinarians, veterinary technicians, dog trainers, dog lovers of all stripes have taken their best shot at figuring her out. 

Her Humane Society papers listed her as a “terrier-x.”  As far as personality, Inja is a teensy bit shy. Loves water...a smidgen of Lab? Does the fact that she crouches in the grass to stalk our other dog mean a Border Collie or Cattle Dog snuck in there somewhere? 

If so, I regret to say Inja didn’t get any of the herding-breed smarts. Life for her is pretty, um...simple. We don't mind. She may not ever get into medical school, but she’s the sweetest, calmest, most easygoing dog we’ve ever had. In fact, her nickname when she was little was the Practically Perfect Puppy. And she grew up to be the Practically Perfect Dog.

Which we were perfectly satisfied with. But recently, we got the chance to peek at her DNA with a test called the Wisdom Panel. I'll tell you the results...but first, you have to guess. Go ahead, take your best shot. Everyone else has!*




*For the analytical among you, here's her stats: weight, 55 lb;  height, about the size of a smallish Labrador.

14 comments:

Marybeth said...

Catahoula could be in there and would account for limited herding ability and practically perfect nature. Lets see, the lean side could have some sighthound origins.
I cant wait to find out!

Andrea said...

I agree with Mary Beth about the sighthound possibility. That first photo said Shepherd to me, with maybe some Blue Heeler mixed in. But man, she's a tough one to figure out. I hope you'll tell us soon.

Diane P said...

Our Frenchie crouches down to pretend stalk. I would think there might be some shepherd in her too.

Lisa Nowak said...

Man, I have no clue. I'm not dog-smart. But I do find it ironic that you got Practically Perfect Puppy followed by Roxie. Guess the universe balances itself out, eh?

Katia said...

I think my dog is related to Inja!
I adopted Lupe in 2004 in Knoxville, TN. She was approximately 1 year old when I adopted her. I wish I could post a picture of her!

Christine Fletcher said...

Hi, Katia! Very cool about your dog. She and Inja might be related...sort of! Inja's genetic test said she could be part Plott Hound, and she does look a lot like one. Plott Hounds originated in TN -- we knew lots of them when we lived there. So maybe your dog is part Plott?

skatin88 said...

The second picture looks just like my Lexi! We don't know what she is we were thinking a shepherd pit bull mix but as with you everyone asks what she is :) thanks for the post so interesting! We have thought about getting Lexi tested but haven't found the time/necessity yet.

Christine Fletcher said...

skatin88, it was a fun test to do. But to be honest, if I didn't get to do it at a discount (I work in a veterinary hospital), then I think Inja would still be a mystery. :-)

K. August said...

Looks exactly like our Peanut. She patrolled our rural property and chased off any critter that didn't belong. She could be a fierce defender, that was her job. Independent, loyal, an all-around great friend. Twelve years were not nearly enough time. Rest In Peace Miss Peanut. You are missed.

Christine Fletcher said...

Peanut sounds like she was a gem. Inja, unfortunately, has absolutely no patrolling/guarding instinct at all. If someone broke into our house, she wouldn't care as long as they didn't steal her chair. But she's a darling!

Anonymous said...

my guess is Dutch Shepherd

Unknown said...

I have the same dog. What did the DNA say. I think my buddy is a Catahoula dutch shepherd mix. Others have said some kind of romanian mutt.

Andrea said...

Mine looks just like her and I’ve guessed Dutch Shepherd too.

Shannon Mackle said...

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
-HPV
-DIABETES
-ERECTILE ERECTION
–HEPATITIS A,B AND C
-COLD SORE
-LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
-STROKE
-IMPOTENCE
-HYPERTENSION
-SHINGLES
-FIBROID
-BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

R.buckler11 @gmail....com